Friday, January 18, 2008

Suzhou....the land of, silkworms?

I decided to be a little more adventerous today by changing the title. Instead of the usual China Day One, China Day Two, I took a more challenging leap to changing the title. I know, so adventerous right. Tell me about it.

So anyway, we kicked start the morning with an incredibly chilly weather because it rained. I hate getting up early and rushing through breakfast. So annoying...even though China's breakfast is not that appetizing. Got into our bus to get to our first destination of the day. While in the bus, there's nothing much you can do besides looking out of the window or sleep like a pig. FYI, I slept a lot in the bus even though the tour guide was speaking because I didn't wanna damage my brain by over-working it into translating what she's saying to a more understandable language, English.

What I liked seeing on the roads of China is that wherever you go, you always see all these motorized bicycles [I'm sure they have a proper name to call it, I just don't know what] around. You obviously don't get to see it here, so when I first saw it, I was really, really jakun-fied.

Can't see it clearly here though. It's sort of like a silent motorbike but produces more noise than a bicycle and you get to choose if you wanna pedal or just rest your feet. It's that cool!

After the long journey, [heheh, I remember every journey being long no matter where we went] we reached the Suzhou No.1 Silk Factory. Or something like that.

Oh yeah, before I forget, we switched tour guides at almost every city we went to. In Suzhou, we got a male tour guide.

May I present to you, the hottest tour guide ever...

.

.










Nyahaha. This is him explaining all about silk worms filled with so much passion. Heheh.

Seriously, this part was really educational because we learnt so much about silk worms. The metamorphosis of the silk worm were explained in detail.

Fact of the century: The moths can make love up to 30 hours. Hot love baby. Sadly, the male moth dies after having its' greatest pleasure while the female dies after laying her eggs.

I prefer this tour guide's way of speaking English but he has the tendency to say cocooms and it kind of annoys me in a way.

The 'cocooms'. Note that there are bad and good cocoons. You can see here that the lady in green is selecting the bad ones and throwing it away while the good ones are left at the conveyor belt to proceed to the next process.

The boiling process.
More boiling. Believe it or not, you can in fact eat the worms in the cocoon. Too bad they were not selling it. Hahah.
They're afraid we'll steal their cocoons away, thus the sign. We're not that kiasu to steal it okay.

The machines look rusty.


Silk.

More silk.

Talking about silk, have you all heard about the lame joke?
Try saying silk ten times. Now, what do cows drink?
Answer: Water. [Because many dumb people would say milk]

So lame can die. Ahaha. But I fell for it before also. *shy*

Stretching process.
More stretching process. I tried pulling it as well. It's either the other 3 people were strong or I was weak because I felt one of my legs being lifted off the floor while I pulled.

Finished process. Models not included So comfy!!! We ended up buying two comforters for 900Yuan. That's about RM450.

The tour guide kept saying we were gonna go for a fashion show next and I thought I heard him wrongly at first. True enough, we were brought to a room equipped with a mini stage.
The Chinese models who looked extremely bored modelling their assets silk cheongsam. The slit was super high I tell you.
More bored looking models.

After filling our stomachs, we travelled to another city, Nanjing. We went to the Dr Sun Yat Sen's Mausoleum which was situated at the top of the Purple Hills. For those who don't know who is he, well, he's one of the greatest leaders in China. Lol. I know, sucky description. Wikipedia yourself here. =)



My old folks getting all lovey-dovey climbing up the stairs. Ahahah.

At the top where I was overlooking such a gorgeous view with fresh air!

Unfortunately, we were prohibited from snapping pictures of the tombstone.

Then, night came and it was time to eat again. Went jalan-jalan cari makan after that. I was craving for 'ping tong wu lou' since I landed.

Lo and behold! The 'ping tong wu lou' which didn't taste as nice as how I remembered it in Beijing.
Sarah giving in to her sweet tooth by having cotton candy which costs 3Yuan. That's RM1.50! Cheap.

Did a lot of walking and window shopping. Can't remember if we actually bought anything that night. All I can conclude is that Day Three was one of the most enjoyable out of the entire trip.

And so, the professionals unpacked and dozed off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"wah! your parents very romantic la"...climbing up the steps ;)

Florence said...

p n g: hahah. I don't know how to reply to that.