Sunday, July 08, 2007

5R Trip

My last Saturday was spent together with my fellow Seafieldians from the 5R club. Yes, for those who don't know, there is such a club as 5R. It's an environmental club. And no, 3R no longer exists because it has been upgraded to 5R which stands for Recycle, Reuse, Reduce, Rethink, Repair.

So guess where we were headed to?

The club decided to go to a recycling factory and then to FRIM. [I always thought FRIM was Forest Reserve something something but then I found out that it's actually Forest Research Institute of Malaysia. Close enough =p]

The 38 gang in the bus.

The recycling factory is situated somewhere in Shah Alam so we only took about less than half an hour to reach there. I don't know why I had the impression that the factory was somewhat gonna be huge but upon reaching there, it wasn't as what I thought. You can see everything there in just a glance.

Piles and piles of newspapers and magazines!


The machine which costs half a million to compress the recyclables.


Compressed recyclables stacked neatly.


We just had to take a picture no matter where we were. This explains everything.

After the oh-so-very-informative visit to the factory, we left for FRIM and reached about 10a.m. Then, we had to gather at a spot for a short briefing by the FRIM guy named Zul. He had a lot of pantang larangs. Firstly, he didn't allow us to call him 'pak cik'. Then, he explained that we had to walk in a line and follow his lead and not overtake him. He also said that there are leeches, a king cobra and wild boars in there. [Upon hearing this, I was so delirious that we were gonna meet some wildlife I started acting and jumping like Uken a monkey...No, of course not. I was actually keeping the excitement to myself lah.]

And then he added that we're not allowed to kill the leeches or else we'll be fined. Oh, and not forgetting the mosquitoes. If we were to smack them for sucking our blood, he'll fine us RM5 per mosquito.

Besides that, did you know that Mother Nature has ears and actually listens to you? He told us not to curse in there or else she might hear us and get pissed or something like that. Damn lame until I cannot laugh wei.

Pak Cik Zul in green and red collared T-shirt.

The tallest bamboo tree! So tall till the camera can't capture it's height.

I absolutely love this picture! When you look up, you can see rays of sunlight shining down from above. It's just so beautiful. Pak Cik Zul said they call it the 'wow' spot. He was trying so hard to be funny =)


We walked a lot throughout the entire day. Bear in mind that the area of FRIM is as large as either 5296 or 5269 hectare. Can't remember the exact figure.

We were told that we would have to climb a thousand of these kinda steps up to reach the hanging bridge!

Had to go in groups of five on the hanging bridge to not exert so much pressure on the bridge.

Beyond these smiles, I was actually quite nervous while I was on the bridge because it was 30m above ground level and 1000m above sea level. So high I got scared just looking down.

The magnificent view of the city though you can't really see it here.

The waterfall wasn't as great as I thought. I've seen better ones.

Overall, it was an enjoyable trip. All the walking definitely made us ached, exhausted and sweaty but the feeling was rather good because the thought of firming up our legs brightened me up. Hehe.

Oh, and I did NOT see any leeches, king cobras or wild boars. What a let-down!

Pak Cik Zul was such a liar. Hmph.

No comments: